Sunday, August 31, 2014

Prince and the Wily Woodchucks



                                           The Wily Woodchuck (Filmed by SCB)

Of all the wild animals that (welcome and not) come to visit Prince's yard, the wiliest one is definitely the woodchuck.

I never knew much about woodchucks until I began to encounter them.  Then I discovered that woodchucks not only have a huge appetite for any fruits and vegetables you may try to grow in your yard, they also have an unfortunate habit of burrowing dens near the foundations of homes.  When we first encountered this problem , I was hopeful that Prince's presence would deter them.

Unfortunately, it has not.

While Prince has caught many other wild animals prowling through our backyard, he has never caught a woodchuck.  They always seem to know when he is about to come outside, and stay just far enough away that they can easily elude even a mad dash gallop toward them.  Failing this, they will actually climb trees (especially when they are young).  Prince has never managed to come closer than 10 feet to one.  As for the rest of my dogs (and any humans who happen to be here), they show us no respect whatsoever.  Even a full throated yell will only cause them to give you a toothy glare in return.

Realizing Prince wasn't the answer to our dream of eliminating woodchucks from our yard, we decided to trap and relocate them, but unfortunately there has been on major deterrent.   The woodchucks are simply too smart!  Just how smart are they? Look at the above video.
Yes, Woodchucks really do climb trees!  (photo by SCB)

I am still trying to figure out a way to get rid of them, but unfortunately, this is the one thing I don't think Prince will be able to help me with.  The woodchucks are simply too smart for him...and for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry to all those who have left comments! I have not received them because I did not know I had to enable this feature on my site. I should be able to receive and post them now!