Friday, January 10, 2014

Max and Jack Part 2

When Prince was around 1 year of age, Jack disappeared.  He snapped his leash and ran into the park near our house, and although his young owner looked for him everywhere, even checking with the local humane societies, he never could find him.  I hope that he was picked up by somebody who loved him so much that they didn't want to return him.

After that, Max became the top dog of his household, and his attitude quickly changed.  Many times when Prince and I would pass by on our daily walk, he would try to attack Prince, which Prince mostly ignored.  One day, though, Max actually hurled himself at him... at which time Prince responded with such a threatening growl that Max quickly backed off.  He never attacked Prince again, but would often bark at him and snarl when we passed by.

Other times, oddly enough, Max would seem happy to see Prince and occasionally even followed him and licked him.  I think a lot of it might have depended on how things were going for Max that day.  His young owner left him with his father, and Max wasn't nearly as happy as he had been before.  A lot of times he was left to roam loose and would often go past our house (causing Prince to erupt in hysterical joy).  Other times, we wouldn't see him for days or even weeks.

Eventually, Max was gone, too...his new owner moved away, and Max was supposed to be going with him.  I hope he's still with him.  Every time I pass the house where he lived, I think about him...and so does Prince.  Even now, after Max has been gone for a year, he still strains at the leash when we get near "Max's house" and always pauses to look around and sniff for him.  I always say, "Max is gone, Prince," but obviously he doesn't understand, because he still looks for him every single time that we walk past.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry to all those who have left comments! I have not received them because I did not know I had to enable this feature on my site. I should be able to receive and post them now!